As always test before deployment!!
The following information describes some of the enhancements available in this release of VMware ESXi:
- Enablement of Trusted Execution Technology (TXT) — ESXi 4.1 Update 1 can be configured to boot with Intel Trusted Execution Technology (TXT). This boot option can protect ESXi in some cases where system binaries are corrupted or have been tampered with. TXT is currently available on Intel Xeon processor 5600 series servers. For more information, see KB 1033811.
- Improvement in scalability — ESXi 4.1 Update 1 supports up to 160 logical processors.
- Support for additional guest operating systems — ESXi 4.1 Update 1 provides support for RHEL 6, RHEL 5.6, SLES 11 SP1 for VMware, Ubuntu 10.10, and Solaris 10 Update 9 guest operating systems. For a complete list of guest operating systems supported in this release, see the VMware Compatibility Guide.
- Inclusion of additional drivers — ESXi 4.1 Update 1 includes the 3ware SCSI 2.26.08.036vm40 and Neterion vxge 18.104.22.16839-p22.214.171.124 drivers. For earlier releases, these drivers are only available as separate downloads.
Resolved Issues – In addition, this release delivers a number of bug fixes that are documented in the Resolved Issues section.
This release of VMware vCenter Server 4.1 Update 1 offers the following improvements:
- Additional Guest Operating System Customization Support: vCenter Server now supports customization of the following guest operating systems:
- Windows 7 SP1 (x32 and x64)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (x32 and x64)
- RHEL 6.0 (x32 and x64)
- RHEL5.5 (x32 and x64)
- Additional vCenter Server Database Support: vCenter Server now supports the following databases:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP3
- Oracle 11g Standard/Enterprise Release 2, 126.96.36.199.0 or later, (x32 and x64)
- IBM DB2 9.7.2 Express C (x32 and x64)
- IBM DB2 9.7.2 Enterprise (x32 and x64)
For more information about using IBM DB2 - 9.7.2 database with vCenter Server 4.1 Update 1, see KB 1033201.
- Resolved Issues: In addition, this release delivers a number of bug fixes that have been documented in the Resolved Issues section.