I was trying to install the Ruby vSphere Console (RVC) today on my Ubuntu machine running
Precise Pangolin. I used William Lam’s post as a baseline for the installation – but since there are several differences with Ubuntu – I will post the steps here.
- Do not install Ruby from apt-get it will not work
- If you have already installed it the remove it
sudo apt-get --purge remove ruby-rvm
- sudo curl -L get.rvm.io | bash -s stable
- sudo source /etc/profile
- sudo bash -s stable < <(curl -s https://raw.github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm/master/binscripts/rvm-installer )
- source /etc/profile.d/rvm.sh
- gedit ~/.bashrc and add the following line to the end
[[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && source "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm"
- source ~/.bashrc
- rvm install 1.9.3-p327 --with-openssl-dir=$rvm_path/usr
- gem install rvc
- gem install ffi
Steps were taken from a mixture of these three sources
I now have RVC working and am looking forward to using it more.