For those who are already in the process of the VCDX 3 (me included), regarding the announcements today - the most important bit of information for me was what will happen in the interim to those who are already in the track
Taken from the FAQ
Your progress toward a VCDX3 certification can help you with VCDX4-DCD certification process because:
- Individuals who have passed the VMware Enterprise Administration exam get a discount on the VCAP4-DCA exam
- Individuals who have passed the VMware Design on VI3 exam get a discount on the VCAP4-DCD
- Individuals who have successfully defended a Design and Implementation Plan and achieved the VCDX3 certification are required to pass the VCAP4-DCD. This exam will be offered at a discount for VCDX3 certified candidates. These individuals are not required to submit a VCDX4-DCD Application nor required to defend another Design and Implementation Plan.
Depending on the path, you can earn additional certifications on your path to VCDX4-DCD. Review the Pathway Diagram now.
VCDX3 Applications will be accepted through the Defenses held in Cambridge, MA during the week of November 1, 2010.
You can sit for the VMware Design Exam on VI3 until Aug 30, 2010.
You can sit for the VMware Enterprise Administration Exam on VI3 until Aug 30, 2010.
VCAP certifications will not be available for exams on VI3.
So this is the way that I see the way you should continue - depending on which stage you are currently in
- You have only passed the Enterprise Admin Exam.
Get the discount voucher from VMware for the VCAP4-DCA. Take the VCAP4-DCD and apply for the defense.
- You have passed both the Enterprise Admin Exam and the Design Exam but have not submitted a design.
Go for the VCDX3 track. Submit a VI3 design and defend. Once you have completed it, take the VCAP4-DCD to upgrade to VCDX4-DCD. If you want you can also take the VCAP4-DCA and have all the certifications (you should be entitled to a discount). The VCDX3 will have to be completed before November 1, 2010.
- You have completed your VCDX3.
Pass your VCAP4-DCD (you are entitled to a discount voucher.) If you also want do the VCAP4-DCA.
Regarding those who are in the process - personally - I see no extra benefit in getting the VCAP certifications after you have the full VCDX4-DCD, so if the exams will not cost that much (decent discount) then why not - but otherwise - it will be a waste of money.
One other point to note:
Defenses dates and locations that are known are:
Melbourne, Australia - July 5-8, 2010
San Francisco, USA - August 30-September 2, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark - October 12-14, 2010
--NEW-- Cambridge, MA November 1, 2010 (last chance to defend VCDX3)