2015-08-27

The Three Pillars of DevOps

I apologize for plagiarizing the holy concept of The Three Pillars, but I do think that a foundation needs to be laid down for a healthy DevOps culture to thrive and even survive. And I would like to share with you some of my thought on this.

To be true to the agile methodology it would only be appropriate that instead of talking about pillars I prefer to talk about personas.

These three personas are:

  1. Developers
  2. Operations Engineers
  3. Management

If I was going to have to lay it out in a graphical form – I guess it would be something like this.

The 3 Pillars of DevOps

In order for a healthy DevOps culture ALL three of these need to exist – and work in sync.

In the upcoming posts – I will go through each of these pillars and how they should play a part
(but also more importantly – how they should not) in this highly abused and misused term…

DevOps.

image

Follow the rest of this series here:

Part 1 – The Three Pillars of DevOps
Part 2 – Pillar #1 - Developers
Part 3 – Pillar #2 - Operations Engineers
Part 4 – Pillar #3 - Management
Part 5 – Bringing it all together