2015-03-26

Installing OpenStack CLI clients on Mac OSX

I usually have a Linux VM that I use to perform some of my remote management tasks, such a OpenStack CLI commands.

But since I now have a Mac (and yes I am in enjoying it!!) I thought why not do it natively on my Mac. The official documentation on installing clients is on the OpenStack site.

This is how I got it done.

Firstly install pip

easy_install pip

Now to install the clients (keystone, glance, heat, nova, neutron, cinder, swift and the new OpenStack client)

pip install python-keystoneclient python-novaclient python-heatclient python-swiftclient python-neutronclient python-cinderclient python-glanceclient python-openstackclient

First problem – was no permissions

No Permissions

Yes you do need sudo for some things…

sudo –H pip install python-keystoneclient python-novaclient python-heatclient python-swiftclient python-neutronclient python-cinderclient python-glanceclient python-openstackclient

Success!

Success!

Or so I thought…

Maybe not...

Google led me here - https://github.com/major/supernova/issues/55

sudo –H pip uninstall six

uninstall six

And then

sudo –H easy_install six

reinstall six

And all was good

nova works

nova list

Quick and Simple!! Hope this is useful!